Senior Counselor Application and Job Description 2014 [PDF]
Senior Counselor Recommendation Form 2014 [PDF]
To be a senior counselor you must be: currently enrolled in a college or university, at least 18 years of age and completed your freshman year of college. Each senior counselor will be assigned to supervise 8-10 students from the program during those times when the students are not involved in classes. Senior counselors will be required to live in the dorms assigned to them. All meals will be eaten with the students. The time commitment for the job is considerable. The students attending the program will range in age from 12-15 years; therefore, the program must provide a high level of supervision. The senior counselors will be an integral part of the needed supervision. The counselors are expected to be on duty and free of all other commitments from Noon until 8:30 am of the following day. Senior counselors who plan to take college classes should not register for classes after 11:00 am during Academia Latina sessions.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTIC REQUIREMENTS
Academia Latina is looking for high-energy personalities who find working with young people stimulating and fun. We are looking for responsible, mature, and emotionally stable individuals. One of the strengths of the Academia Latina program will be the outstanding role model that senior counselors provide. Counselors are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is exemplary, this includes: good personal hygiene, positive attitude, compassion, wise decision-making, and intellectual curiosity.
- Supervise students assigned to you when students are not in class.
- Live in the dorm and be directly responsible for 8-10 students.
- Attend orientation meeting prior to each session.
- Meet daily with the Academia Latina staff.
- Assist at registration and checkout.
- Help with recreational activities and evening programs.
- Participate in an evaluation of the session.
- Participate in all afternoon and weekend activities.
- Be available to students for counseling, problem solving, etc.
- Know emergency procedures thoroughly.
- Be available to help Housing Office staff when necessary (e.g. cleaning up after social events, assisting with the linen change, etc.)
All counselors must attend staff training at the SOU Youth Programs Office on Saturday and Sunday, August 10 and 11, 2014 orientation and preparation. The staff training, orientation sessions, and work parties are an important and fun aspect of preparing for ACADEMIA LATINA. Counselors will be notified of the specific time and location of the training at a later date.
Room and board plus $350 per session.
August 10-16, 2014