Academia Latina Leadership will offer a broad range of courses, lectures, cultural experiences, and recreational activities focused on leadership and the development of an effective leader. The goal of this program is to foster Latino youth leaders and create positive role models. Students selected will live for a week on campus at Southern Oregon University in Ashland. They will interact with other Latino students from throughout southern Oregon.
Application Form [fillable PDF] for 2014 will be available in April
- Must have attended Academia Latina
- Must have completed 10th or 11th grade
- GPA: 3.5 or higher
- 3 recommendation letters
- 2 Academic (teacher/counselor)
- 1 Community leader
- Essay # 1 – Why are you interested in participating in Academia Latina Leadership? (250 words)
- Essay # 2 – How has your heritage hindered/helped your view of education? How will you be able to impact younger generations? (500 words)
- If selected, interview with committee
Personal Characteristic Requirements
Academia Latina Leadership is looking for high-energy participants who find working with young people stimulating and fun. We are also looking for students that have a special interest in social justice, leadership and social change.
- Live in the residence hall for the entirety of the program
- Meet daily with the Academia Latina Head Residents
- Help with recreational activities and evening programs
- Participants are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is exemplary, this includes: good personal hygiene, positive attitude, compassion, wise decision-making, and intellectual curiosity.
- Understand and respect the guidelines/rules given by the staff