For more information, please refer to our handbooks.
Advanced Southern Credit Student/Parent 2014-15 Handbook
1. What is Advanced Southern Credit (ASC)?
ASC is a program in which high school courses are taught at such a level that they can be awarded college academic credit. Qualified instructors whose courses have been approved by the supervising department at Southern Oregon University teach ASC courses on area high school campuses. Generally, these courses are offered each high school semester, and most carry four quarter credits.
2. What's in it for me?
Advanced Southern Credit can help you if you are planning on going to college. Right now, while you are still in high school, you can take classes that can apply to your college degree. Because these programs are available at a greatly reduced tuition rate, you and your family will save money and time as you work toward your undergraduate degree.
3. Why would I want to take college courses when I'm still in high school?
We've found that high school students enroll in college courses for a variety of reasons.
Some of these reasons are:
- Getting a head start on college courses helped me decide what I wanted to major in.
- I have completed most of their graduation requirements and I want to fill my time with worthwhile course work.
- These courses will save me and my family a lot of money.
- Having college credits on my academic resume looks good on my college applications.
4. How much do I pay for Advanced Southern Credit?
For Fall, Winter, Spring 2014-15 the ASC courses cost $41 per credit hour, or $164 dollars per semester per 4-credit course. This is a real savings. If you took the class at SOU it would cost $940.60.
5. How do I register for an ASC class?
Your high School (AP) teacher will distribute enrollment forms. You will complete the form and return it to your teacher by the deadline the teacher assigned. If you are taking more than one approved ASC class, you will get the form signed by each teacher. The teacher's signature authorizes that you are qualified to sign up for the credit. Please mail the completed enrollment form along with payment in the form of check, money order, or credit card number, to:
SOU Pre-College Youth Programs
1250 Siskiyou Blvd.
Ashland, OR 97520
6. Will I get high school credit for taking these classes?
Generally, ASC and EE classes will be credited at both the high school and the university level.
7. What are the qualifications fo an ASC instructor?
ASC instructors are considered to be adjunct faculty at the university, although they are not on the university payroll. The preferred minimum degree for ASC instructors is a Master's Degree in the subject area (or a related area) being taught.