(For a PDF of the 2015 Senior Counselor job description below, click here)
Click here for the Senior Counselor Application (fillable PDF)
To be a senior counselor you must be at least 18 years old and enrolled in a college or university where you have completed your freshman year. Each senior counselor will be assigned to supervise 12-14 students from the program during those times when the students are not involved in classes. Senior counselors will be required to live in the dorms assigned to them. All meals will be eaten with the ACADEMY students. The time commitment for the job is considerable. The students attending the program will range in age from 9-14 years; therefore, the program must provide a high level of supervision. The senior counselors will be an integral part of the needed supervision. The counselors are expected to be on duty and free of all other commitments from Noon until 8:30 am of the following day. Senior counselors who plan to take college classes should not register for classes after 11:00 am during ACADEMY sessions.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTIC REQUIREMENTS
ACADEMY is looking for high-energy personalities who find working with young people stimulating and fun. We are looking for responsible, mature, and emotionally stable individuals. One of the strengths of the ACADEMY program has been the outstanding role model that senior counselors provide. Counselors are expected to conduct themselves in a manner that is exemplary which includes: good personal hygiene, positive attitude, compassion, wise decision-making, and intellectual curiosity.
ACADEMY 2014 Session II
- Supervision of students assigned to counselor when students are not in class.
- Live in the dorm and be directly responsible for 12-14 students.
- Attend orientation session prior to each session.
- Meet daily with the ACADEMY staff.
- Assist at registration and checkout.
- Participate in and help with recreational activities and evening programs.
- Participate in an evaluation of the session.
- Participate in all afternoon and weekend activities.
- Be available to students for counseling, problem solving, etc.
- Know emergency procedures thoroughly.
- Be available to help Housing Office staff when necessary (e.g. cleaning up after social events, assisting with the linen change, etc.)
All counselors are required to attend staff training at the SOU Pre-College Youth Programs ACADEMY Office on Saturday, June 21 for orientation and preparation. The staff training, orientation sessions, and work parties are an important and fun aspect of preparing for ACADEMY. Counselors will be notified of the specific time and location of the training at a later date.
Room and board plus $350 per session.
Staff training - Saturday June 20
Session I - June 21-27, Grades 5 and 6
Session II - June 21-27, Grades 7 and 8
Senior Counselor Application [fillable PDF]