Skip Navigation

Southern Oregon University

Clubs and Organizations

Clubs and Organizations are non-profit groups organized and directed by current enrolled students at Southern Oregon University.


  • Organized to fulfill a well-stated purpose with activities clearly related to that purpose
  • Minimum of 7 SOU students actively involved as members
  • Open to all students, faculty, staff, and community at large
  • Minimum of 1 officer who must be an SOU student enrolled in at least 8 credits per term
  • One advisor part of the SOU Staff or Faculty
  • Membership cannot discriminate on the basis of creed, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, or sexual orientation


  • Uphold all local, state, & federal laws
  • Abide by all SOU policies and guidelines
  • Have only SOU students as voting members and officers
  • Not allow the group to be used as a "front" for an off-campus group to obtain benefits
  • Re-Register each fall with updated list of officers and student members
  • Update the office of Student Life with any officer changes during the academic year
  • Maintain an account for all group generated money through the office of Student Life


  • To host meetings and events on campus
  • Apply for student fee money
  • Use of the Student Publicity Center
  • Use of state vehicles for authorized trips and conferences

Religious Groups
In accordance with U.S. Supreme Court rulings, religious groups whose purpose is to study or perpetuate a particular organized religion or religious philosophy are not eligible for Student Fee funding unless the following two situations both apply:

  • The sponsored event is open to all students regardless of any religious affiliation
  • The event is openly publicized for the general student population as well as the university community.

Political Groups
Clubs and organizations may not receive Student Fee funds for activities supporting political candidates and/or measures. NO GROUP MAY REPRESENT A POLITICAL CANDIDATE. GROUPS MAY REPRESENT POLITICAL PARTIES.
The Associated Students of Southern Oregon University will sponsor or co-sponsor all political speakers and candidates who desire to appear on campus in order to provide equal access to the campus and expedite arrangements.

The Stevenson Union may be used for the purpose of holding political meetings, provided that:

  • There is no interference with regularly scheduled functions
  • Students are permitted to hear the speakers without charge
  • Sponsors pay any regular fees required for the use of the facilities
  • There is equal opportunity for each of the political party candidates to speak
  • The activity is educational in nature

Posting campaign signs, announcements, etc. in campus buildings or on campus grounds is prohibited. The public bulletin board inside the Stevenson Union is the only location on campus for posting of campaign signs or political announcements.

The Stevenson Union courtyard, raised lounge, and Elmo's are available for political candidates to visit with students, faculty, and staff. However, these areas are not to be used for speech making and no material is to be distributed.

Individuals from off-campus may solicit signatures for ballot measures in the free speech zone outside of the Stevenson Union in the courtyard only.

Hosting Events
Registered clubs and organizations are allowed to host events on and off-campus. Groups are responsible for abiding by policies and procedures for each event. Key items for hosting events include planning, fiscal management, contracts, staffing, clean-up, and evaluation of events.

Free Speech Zone
The Southern Oregon University Free Speech Zone is located in the Stevenson Union courtyard outside near the bookstore entrance only.

Individuals and groups, whether they are affiliated with SOU or not, are free to express ideas in this space as long as that expression falls within legal limits and does not interfere with our educational process.

Amplified Sound in the Courtyard
Amplified music is not allowed in the Stevenson Union courtyard as it disrupts classes taking place in Taylor Hall. Groups can utilize microphone for speeches, but musical instruments are not allowed to be amplified. Some acoustical instruments may be allowed with prior approval through the office of Student Life.

Groups are allowed to utilize a boom box provided by the Stevenson Union for music or standard computer speakers for music in the courtyard. Both options may be subject to be turned off or down if the amplified sound gets too loud.

The showing of movies may require a public viewing license. For information about public film viewings please contact the office of Student Life.

Movies publicized and shown in a public setting by SOU groups are required to purchase the “rights” or public viewing license. There are various companies that sell movie licenses.

The United States Copyright law provides the exemption of purchasing movie rights if the purpose is for direct face to face teaching activities, but does not include performances for recreation or entertainment purposes, even if there is cultural value or intellectual appeal.

The United States Copyright Law section § 110(1) with specific language for public viewing license exemptions is found in Title 17 of the United States Code and is stated below.

§ 110. Limitations on exclusive rights: Exemption of certain performances and displays

Notwithstanding the provisions of section 106, the following are not infringements of copyright:

(1) performance or display of a work by instructors or pupils in the course of face-to-face teaching activities of a nonprofit educational institution, in a classroom or similar place devoted to instruction, unless, in the case of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, the performance, or the display of individual images, is given by means of a copy that was not lawfully made under this title, and that the person responsible for the performance knew or had reason to believe was not lawfully made;


Student clubs and organizations can receive funds in a variety of ways – dues, fundraising, and allocations from the student fee, etc. Any monies earned by the club or organization will be put into a university club account. Club funds may be spent to support the stated purpose or mission of the club, and not for individual personal gain. If the funds are from a student fee allocation the group may only spend the funds in the way they were requested.

Club Account
All funds a club or organization receives must be deposited into its account within the University.

Student Fee Account
Any club or organization that receives a student fee allocation may use the funds based on the request made by the group to the student fee committee.

Requesting Funds

Inter-Club Council Fund Request
Any registered club in good standing may put in a fund request to the Inter-Club Council (ICC). Requests are heard by ICC, discussed, and voted upon at ICC meetings. Funds are heard and dispersed on a first-come first served basis.

Emergency Request
Any club or organization in good standing may make an emergency request to SFC. An emergency request is for a group that had unforeseen expenditures arise.

Annual Budget
Student clubs and organizations may receive an annual budget if proposed during the EAAC process and gains approval by the advisory council. Once a group gains permanent approval the funds will be set aside the next academic year to be spent by the club or organization.

Receiving Funds
Any club or organization wanting to spend funds from any account must fill out a request for action form or a personal services contract request form and turn it in to the Involvement Center for processing.

Receipt Reimbursement
Any person may be reimbursed for items with club or organization funds for events. A request for action form accompanied by all original receipts must be turned into the Involvement Center (SU 312). All State and Institutional policies apply to appropriate reimbursement items. Each request for action form must be signed by two individuals identified on the club signature form.

Cash Advance
A club or organization member may receive a cash advance from club funds if a request for action form is appropriately completed in a timely manner.

Payment for Services Rendered
Any club or organization that agrees to pay a person or group for services rendered must fill out a personal services agreement request well before the event or services take place. The agreement must be processed through the Business Office and may take a few weeks.

All requests are paid through the institution by check or direct deposit. Checks are cut every Wednesday and may be available for pick-up that afternoon if requested or mailed out to the appropriate club and organization. Nobody can receive cash as payment, including agreements to pay proceeds taken at the door of an event.

About Money Requests
As a registered student group, you have the opportunity to request money from student fees your group's events. However, there are restrictions on how student fees may be spent.

How do I request money?
For most small requests, you may request money from the Inter-Club Council(ICC). ICC allows up to $100 per term for food parties. These parties are usually events to promote your group and find new members. To receive ICC money, a representative of your group must attend all ICC meetings.

What if I want more money?
For larger requests, these requests would be sent to the Student Fee Committee (SFC). SFC funds requests that ICC can't fulfill, and the yearly budgets for larger organizations. If your club or organization receives funding from SFC they cannot request fees from ICC for the rest of the year.

What can I spend the money on?
Because all student group funding comes from student fees that all students pay into, all events and programs must benefit or be accessible to the entire student body. In the case that student fee money is requested to send a representative to a conference or training, this person either must be in a position to use the experience to better serve the student body, or must present at an event open to everyone.

How do I get the money?
Money from ICC or SFC is added to your group's account. Cash is never distributed to students. This money is accessed through reimbursements only, or by using your group's index code. Submit a Request for Action form (Appendix X) to receive a check for money spent. The Request for Action form must have all expenditures explained, with receipts attached. If you are planning a large event, the purchases may be made directly from your group's account, but arrangements for these purchases must be made beforehand.

Can I request money from the other fee committees?
The Athletics Advisory Council (AAC) and Stevenson Union Advisory Council (SUAC) cannot hear requests from student groups. The Student Fee Committee (SFC) usually only hears yearly budgets from large groups and organizations, or adjustments to those groups.

How do I hold a fundraiser?
If you want to sell goods or crafts to raise money for your group, you may do so. One of the people listed on the signature card for your club may pick up a cash box with change already in it for your sale. After the sale, the cash box is counted, and the profit made from the sale is added to your group's account. The sale profit is not given back as cash. Tables in the Stevenson Union are available free to registered student groups.


To schedule events, meetings, displays, or other informational material in the Stevenson Union and Britt Ballroom, you must contact the Student Life Office in SU 312, Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m or by emailing

Scheduling events and meetings should be done a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. If it is a large-scale event, there should be a minimum one-month advance scheduling. This lead time not only lets building schedulers ensure your requests can be filled, but allows enough time to make sure your publicity has enough time to reach students.

Internal Information

Events and Meetings

  • Rooms are available in a first-come, first-served basis.
  • Activities with historical consistency will also be given priority for scheduling.
  • When in use after hours, the club or organization will be charged an hourly fee of $10.00 per Event Member Crew. The rate will begin from time the group takes possession of the facility for decorating/set-up through clean-up after the event.
  • Outdoor events are scheduled through the Involvement Center with an Activity Bid. Some criteria are used during the approval of an outdoor event and are listed below:
    • Time of day or night
    • Volume level of sound – especially around academic buildings including library
    • Size of group including audience
    • Effect on landscape and property
  • Events held on the courtyard of the Stevenson Union may have restrictions on sound equipment used based on when the event occurs.
  • A noise permit may be required from the City of Ashland.


  • Audio-visual equipment and room set-up needs can be arranged during the scheduling of the event or meeting.
  • Audio-visual and furniture needed for an event are free of charge to registered student clubs and organizations if owned by the Stevenson Union.
  • Any additional equipment that is required needs to be ordered through the Media Center, with appropriate charges being assessed to the group.


The showing of films may require a public viewing license. For information about public film viewings please contact the Student Life Office (SU 312).


  • Clubs and organizations are able to utilize the Student Publicity Center located in SU 303. All costs incurred will be applied to the appropriate club or organization for use of the facility.
  • All materials submitted to the Student Publicity Center will be subject to scrutiny according to: “Standards for Practice of Public Relations” and the “AAUP-NSA Joint Statement on Freedom of the Student Press”.
  • Registered clubs and organizations can have materials printed at Duplicating Services after obtaining a signed work request from the Involvement Center. It is the group’s responsibility to submit the request to Duplicating Services.
  • The SOU Publications Office should be consulted before preparing materials to go off-campus, i.e. brochures, mailings, etc.
  • All publicity must include the name of the sponsoring group.
  • For disability accommodations call 552-6221.


Posting Guidelines

  • All publicity must be approved through the Student Life Office for posting in the Stevenson Union.
  • All publicity must include the name of the sponsoring group. Only campus related events or info may be advertised on campus bulletin boards.
  • Advertisements must be placed within the boundaries of the appropriate bulletin boards.
  • Existing signs may not be covered, moved, or removed when posting new signs. All signs must conform to Oregon State laws, Ashland City ordinances, and Southern Oregon University policies. Signs in violation of these policies will be removed.
  • The university reserves the right to remove all signs at the end of each month, or at times deemed appropriate.
  • Special exceptions to the posting policy may be granted by the Director of Student Life as appropriate.
  • All reservations for the Boulevard Sign are made through the Student Publicity Center. The boulevard sign is for major events. The Student Publicity Center will make all signs and hang them, which incurs a fee for the requesting club or organization.
  • All reservations for the Kiosk Sign are made through the Student Publicity Center. The Student Publicity Center will make all signs and hang them, which incurs a fee for the requesting club or organization
  • Plastic sign holders (“table toppers”) located in Elmo’s are used to promote SOU campus activities. Contact the Student Publicity Center to reserve a space, which is considered on a first-come, first-served, space available basis.
  • Any political advertisements for candidates running for office must be posted only on the public bulletin board. This does not include student government elections.

SU Monitors

  • The SU monitors can be used to advertise for special campus events.
  • No more than two power point slides per event can be displayed on the monitor at one time.
  • Contact the Student Life Office to have an event put on the SU monitors.

Responsibility for Campus Posting Regulations

The Director of Student Life is responsible for interpreting campus policies related to posting. Policies related to solicitation on campus are notes in the Administrative Rules for Southern Oregon University. Appeals of any decisions made by the Director of Student Life will be referred to the Student Affairs Office.