Southern Online Scholarship Application
The new Southern Online Scholarship Application (SOSA) is available for the 2014-15 academic year!
There are over 80 scholarships and you are encouraged to apply! Once you complete your application, the system will let you know which scholarships you may be eligible for, based on information you provide, as well as information from the SOU Student Information System.
Here is some helpful information for you as you complete your application.
- Admission: You must be a fully admitted student to SOU to apply for scholarships listed on SOSA. The priority application date for fall term of 2014 is February 15, 2014. For information on how to apply, please go to www.sou.edu/admissions.
- Need-Based Scholarships: Some scholarships are based on financial need. Your "need" can only be determined by your FAFSA. Complete your 2014-15 FAFSA (www.fafsa.ed.gov) as soon as possible. (It can take approximately two or more weeks for SOU to receive your FAFSA information, so file early.) Don’t forget to list SOU’s school code: 003219. You may be eligible and are welcome to apply for a need-based scholarship. However, if you do not file the FAFSA by the SOSA deadline, your name will be removed from the need-based scholarships on the SOSA Scholarship list and therefore you will not be considered for those specific scholarships.
- Recommendation Letters: This year, if recommendation letters are required for a particular scholarship, you will be able to list the name and email address for your reference(s). Your reference will then be notified and they will be able to upload the recommendation directly into the SOSA system. Make sure you check what type of recommendation letter (e.g. instructor, personal or high school principal) your chosen scholarship(s) requires.
- Essays: Pay close attention to the scholarships you apply for. Some of them may require additional essays and any other documentation to complete your application.
- Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) is not on SOSA. It is part of your initial application for admission to SOU. If you have questions about WUE, please contact the SOU Admissions Office at 541-552-6411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
- SOSA selection process will be completed by May 1, 2014. Scholarship recipients will be notified as they are awarded. Non-recipients will be notified by email by May 1, 2014.
- Deadline: All items, including reference letters, must be completed by 10:00 pm pacific time on Saturday, March 1, 2014.