What is SOAR?
What is SOAR?
On May 21st, 2008, Southern Oregon University President Cullinan inaugurated the first annual, university-wide celebration of faculty and student research and artistic activity. Southern Oregon Arts & Research or SOAR was launched. Now in its 7th year, SOAR 2014 has grown to include over 800 student and faculty presenters.
The week-long extravaganza boasts a program of various concurrent activities bringing together an array of disciplines and projects. Attendees experience live demonstrations, original dance and music performances, art exhibitions, panel discussions, and poster sessions that fill the campus with vivid displays of projects with researchers and artists on site to discuss their work.
The purposes of SOAR are to:
- Highlight academic research, performances, publications, and other scholarly and artistic achievements
- Bring the campus community together in a professional conference setting to learn what we are doing in a wide variety of disciplines
- Demonstrate how Southern Oregon University research and faculty/student efforts are benefiting our region
- Share new ideas and concepts
- Expand our knowledge base beyond the traditional classroom
- Provide an opportunity for students, faculty, and members of the community to interact and socialize
Please join us to celebrate our university community’s accomplishments. The conference kicks off with First Friday Art Walk, May 2nd 5:30-8:00 pm in the Hannon Library and continues with presentations, performances & exhibits May 12th through the 16th.