Minutes for November 15, 2004 meeting
Present: Claire Cross, Marny Rivera, Peter Wu, Jean Maxwell, Terry Longshore, Jon Harbaugh, Lee Ayers, Dale Vidmar, Mark Siders, Kemble Yates, John Whitesitt, John Richards, Dan Rubenson, Randy Johnson (ASSOU), Wilkins-O'Reilly Zinn, Cody Bustamante, Sandra Holstein, Sarah Ann Hones, Mara Affre, Parvaneh Scoggin, Diana Maltz.o:p>
Guests: Mada Morgan, Cynthia Beckwith, Elisabeth Zinser, John Englehart, Ed Battistella, Gina Lutz (OSPIRG), Mike Corcoran, Teri O'Rourke
I. Approve minutes from st1:date Year="2004" Day="1" Month="11">11/01/04 meeting ()
A. Motion to approve – Vidmar, Second – Rivera, approved.
II. Announcements ()
A. Gina Lutz– Re: SOU’s initiative to replace all SOU ID cards with “Higher One” Master Card Debit Cards. All of student financial aid would be in the hands of this corporation and no longer handled by Business Services. Promoting a boycott of this initiative – see attachment.
B. Cody Bustamante - Special election will occur to temporarily replace Dan Rubenson during his one quarter sabbatical.
C. Jean Maxwell – actively pursuing a replacement for John Engelhardt, Chair of the Faculty Development Committee, who will be retiring in December.
D. Jon Harbaugh – Lee Ayers will serve as IFS Representative (replacement for Laura) – to serve with Marny Rivera
III. Comments from President Zinser ()
A. Search for VP for Finance and Administration coming to a close – have had good candidates.
B. Phil Pifer, Athletic Director, to retire – will begin a search for a replacement soon.
C. Announcement of realignment of some student support services under Dr. Brimmer and Dr. Potter -- refer to Dr. Zinser’s announcement email of
D. Discussion of Enrollments: While SOU declined 6.2% this fall, WOU declined 5.2%. Yet, SOU had a tuition increase of over 10% Fall 2003 to Fall 2004, while WOU had no increase in tuition. Most important, SOU had the largest turn out ever for its Preview Day on Friday November 12th.
E. Handout – current members of the State Board of Higher Education, given changes recently.
IV. Comments from Provost Potter () – none in addition to discussions occurring today.
V. AC Report from the Faculty Senate Vice Chair ()
A. Discussed issues that are on today’s agenda
B. Recommending that we not necessarily fill Dan Rubenson’s FSAC spot during the one term he is gone – and Lee Ayers is attending regularly as past-Chair and a Social Science representative
C. John Whitesitt – suggested that FSAC discuss the compelling reasons for moving to the use of Higher One as a replacement for SOU ID cards. There are a number of concerns that have been expressed (see, for example, handout entitled Higher One on Campus).
VI. Student Senate Report - Randy Johnson ()
A. Planning to respond to a 20% reduction in budget related to student fees
B. There is a severe shortage of current Senators, and not much action can occur until elections have been held that are scheduled for tomorrow evening
VII. Faculty Development Committee Report / Carpenter II Grants --- John Engelhardt ()
A. See attachment of recipients for second round for ’04-05.
B. Dan – move to suspend 2 week rule. Unanimously approved.
C. Kemble – move to accept recipient list as provided. Unanimously approved.
VIII. Action Items
IX. Discussion Items
A. Grading Grievance Policy --- Mike Corcoran () --- See attachments.
1. Recommending that an Academic Appeals Committee be formed to review grading process if grieved to be unfair or discriminating. Five members – 3 teaching faculty, 1 student, 1 other faculty or unclassified staff member.
2. Peter Wu – Providing a year to file the grievance seems a “little long.” Earl Potter – we’re actually reducing the limitation. Some confusion around “when the clock starts” – particularly in the case of “Incompletes”
3. Discussion ensued surrounding length of time student papers, tests, etc. should be held, and the logistical record-keeping challenges for faculty.
a. State Board standard is to hold course-related documents for a period of one year.
b. Maltz – most important documentation would be the syllabus
4. John Whitesitt – Would Mike be willing to make it explicit that the burden of proof is on the student? Yes.
5. Kathy McNeill – Discrimination does occur in higher education. We need to not make it so burdensome for a student that we discount the genuine concerns that arise.
6. Document will be brought back to the Senate as an Action Item at the next Senate meeting.
X. Faculty Roles and Responsibilities Proposal --- Jon Harbaugh () --- See attachment.
A. Dan Rubenson – Clarification – this means that rather than a “one size fits all” approach to scholarship, criteria would be determined on a department by department and school level. Earl Potter – within limits, such as integrating an overall valuing of “active learning” that should inform curriculum development – that is true.
B. Vidmar - Where would departmentally-developed criteria documents go for approval? Potter – this is a process that will be decided as the discussion begins with an identified “study team”.
C. Jon Harbaugh – asks that everyone take a look at the possibility of serving on the study team (see #1 under the “process” section of attachment).
D. Potter – note that the document is about more than promotion and tenure issues, and also includes looking at the breadth of faculty roles at the university.
E. Will make this an action item for the December 6th meeting.
F. Jon Harbaugh wishes for Senators and general faculty to send concerns about the document, as well as any wishes to serve on the study team, to him as soon as possible. Dr. Potter will not be able to attend the December 6th meeting and would appreciate receiving such feedback, if possible, prior to that time.
Updated Monday, February 7, 2005, 15:16:17