Minutes for November 1, 2004
st1:date Year="2004" Day="1" Month="11">Monday November 1, 2004
Present: Claire Cross, Marny Rivera, Peter Wu, Jean Maxwell, Terry Longshore, Jon Harbaugh, Lee Ayers, Alena Ruggerio, Dale Vidmar, Connie Anderson, Mark Siders, Kemble Yates, John Whitesitt, John Richards, Dan Rubenson, Randy Johnson (ASSOU), Wilkins-O'Reilly Zinn, Cody Bustamante, Sandra Holstein, Sarah Ann Hones, Mara Affre, Parvaneh Scoggin, Kathy McNeill.
Guests: Ron Bolstad, Mike Corcoran, Paul Steinle, John Sollinger, Emily Miller-Francisco, Mada Morgan, Dianne Brimmer, Cynthia Beckwith, Barbara Scott, Jessie Foster.
1. Approve minutes from
Motioned by Siders, Seconded by Ayers – Approved.
2. Announcements ()
Jon Harbaugh - U.S. Marine Band – free ticket for tonight’s performance is available.
Terry Longshore - Concert in
3. President Zinser and Provost Potter - Both Drs. Zinser and Potter regret that they had to attend to other university business today that was unavoidable, and will report to the Senate at the next meeting.
4. AC Report from the Faculty Senate Vice Chair ()
Yates – Discussion centered on scholarship, teaching and related issues – draft plan was put forward by Provost Potter. Plan will be presented to full Senate possibly at next meeting. It is likely that a task force be appointed to study and bring forward recommendations. It is unrealistic that this will be completed this academic year. Concern was expressed about those who are seeking promotion and tenure this year.
5. Student Senate Report - Randy Johnson ()
The Student Senate is barely beginning their work due to the loss of so many Senators from last year. Currently there are five sitting Senators, a full Senate includes twenty positions. ASSOU will be working to fill positions during the next two weeks.
6. University Planning Committee Report - Chris Sackett ()
The UPC is defined under 1.226(b) of the SOU Bylaws. Chris reviewed responsibilities of the Committee. Role has varied over the years and founding of the AAAC last year caused another review of the committee’s responsibilities. This year the committee will meet monthly and focus on the budget as well as capital construction. Representation on the committee is from the campus as a whole. Ruggerio – what is status of affordable faculty housing in
* No action items scheduled for today.
7. IFS Information - Marny Rivera ()
Marny reported on the role of the Interinstitutional Faculty Senate. SOU is allotted two representatives based on the size of our school. Laura Jones had to resign, so there is a two year position open. Purpose of the IFS is to give OUS faculty a voice in higher education issues in
Oct. 22 IFS Meeting – Rivera reported that Peter Gilkey presented the OUS General Ed. Model. His notes are available at IFS Web Site. Impetus for the model is largely political. The model is supposed to facilitate transfers between universities and community colleges. There is a meeting on Nov. 19 to gather additional comments. SOU would have some problems if the model were implemented tomorrow particularly since our General Education is in the process of being revised. No answers right now as to how some issues will be resolved. Corcoran is part of another group that will be meeting Nov. 18 and taking proposals to the Nov. 19 summit meeting.
8. Faculty Senate Membership Report (Constitution Committee) - Mark Siders
Thoughts about HRAC report (review the HRAC section of the attached
Siders contacted Provost’s office to find out if Senate representation is in alignment with the SOU Bylaws and found out that we are not in compliance. See handout. Some areas have too many representatives, some too few. Provost’s plan is the second part of the handout. McNeil asked why if we are combining two groups would representation decrease? If we were following our bylaws, administrative faculty should have five Senators. Whitesitt – Suggested that we must decide if we are going to be a University Senate as opposed to a Faculty Senate. Harbaugh – Senate needs to revisist the HRAC issues. Siders – one proposal would be to have no Administrative Faculty. If we are called a “Faculty Senate” wouldn’t that be logical? Yates – Perhaps we could limit some committees to faculty only depending on the role of the committee. Ayers – Schools and Departments are also in the process of changing as part of reorganization efforts. Whitesitt –Opinion of AC members last year was unanimously in favor of keeping Administrative seats on the Senate. This format has worked well for a long time. Harbaugh – This seems to support the argument for changing the name of the Senate to University Senate. We need to make some serious changes in the Bylaws. Was there thought given to this by the HRAC? Scott – The administrators are not suggesting changing the nature of the Senate. That idea came from Provost Potter who has seen that structure at other institutions. Ayers – Suggested taking this idea to the AC for further discussion and bring back recommendations to the Senate.
9. CREAC Update - John Sollinger ()
See handout. Summarized CREAC activities. Working on Goals, the Freshman Experience, and making changes to upper division classes to eliminate the current bottleneck for Synthesis and Application classes. Hope to fully implement by 2006-07. There is so much work to be done that CREAC has generated sub-committees who are tackling tasks that they identified Over thirty people are now involved in doing the work. No matter what design we have it should be well researched and informed. Vidmar – CTL Director seems to have big assignment with assessment piece of the plan. Sollinger – Yes, they had pinned hopes and dreams on that person, but now the Assessment subcommittee is trying to figure out how that can happen without the Director being hired. Try to do small steps. Yates - Could one course satisfy all 3 and come out of the same school…yes and yes. Need to discuss more. Curriculum Committee will review and determine which will be accepted under which. Rivera – How does this interface with GETM? Sollinger - Deal with it later. Scoggin - Question on timeline – Gen Ed. Schema approved? What do we do to get to the next step? When we bring to Senate for approval? Need to bring changes forward to get into the catalog. Sollinger - Will work with Core Curriculum and Curriculum Committees to make sure deadlines are met. Anyone interested in volunteering to be on CREAC should contact Sollinger since several people will be leaving the committee in the near future.
Respectfully submitted by Connie Anderson
Secretary du jour
Updated Monday, February 7, 2005, 15:18:55