Minutes for October 18, 2004
SOU Faculty Senate Minuteso:p>
st1:date Month="10" Day="18" Year="2004">October 18, 2004
Present: Earl Potter, Marny Rivera, Peter Wu, Jean Maxwell, Terry Longshore, Jon Harbaugh, Alena Ruggerio, Connie Anderson, Mark Siders, Kemble Yates, Diana Maltz, John Whitesitt, John Richards, Dan Rubenson, Liyah Larios [standing in for Randy Johnson (ASSOU)], Wilkins-O'Reilly Zinn, Cody Bustamante, Sandra Holstein, Marc Levy, Parvaneh Scoggin, Kathy McNeill, Mike O’Neil (OSPIRG Textbook Initiative Rep)
Guests: Laura O’Bryon, Ed Battistella, Elisabeth Zinser, Gina Lutz (OSPIRG), Mike Corcoran, Ron Bolstad, Barbara Scott, Cynthia Beckwith, Sue Burkholder.
I. Approve minutes from 10/4 meeting (4:05)
A. Whitesitt motion, Richards 2nd – approved.
II. Announcements ()
A. Terry Longshore – new senators – Parvaneh Scoggin, Kathy McNeill
B. Kemble – Association of Oregon Faculty (AOF) rep – some predictions around the upcoming elections: State House of Representatives – majority will be Republican… Senate – majority will be Democrat… Measure 37 likely to pass
C. Marny Rivera – Reminder of the invitation to come to the meeting around the proposed general education module on Friday , Room 330
D. Jon Harbaugh – Bylaw and Constitution changes voted on and approved last year have been instituted.
III. Comments from President Zinser ()
A. Big news about a national award for our library. Dr. Zinser sent out announcements by email today. Celebration of the Library’s accomplishments this Thursday, and to kickoff the final phase of our Library Capital Campaign.
B. Beginning to do the behind the scenes work for a capital campaign for a new theater. Working with a consultant to do a wider university capital campaign.
C. Beginning a search for an elevated position of an Associate VP for Marketing & Public Relations
D. Beginning work on a three-year plan for enrollment strategies. Plan is to tie this closer to our overall budget strategies. We are rethinking our pricing strategies, and financial aid planning.
E. We are down to three finalists for the position of VP of Budget & Finance
IV. Comments from Provost Potter ()
A. The three VP candidates are all current VPs at comparable institutions.
B. Everyday there are small initiatives going on here.
1. Met with reps of seven foundations about various projects.
2. Partnership with RCC and Siskiyou Field Insitute to establish a field institute
3. Ed Batistella – Working with a group on Academic Excellence and Economic Development
4. Working with RCC on increasing articulation with the majors – Paul Steinle will coordinate that. Mike Corcoran will also consult on this.
5. What’s connection between RCC bond issue and the various collaborations? Would allow them to acquire properties they have been renting. More strongly focused on finishing development of a facility in
V. AC Report from the Faculty Senate Vice Chair () – Activities of
A. Chat with Mike Corcoran – Grading Grievance Policy issue – brought latest draft, and we provided feedback.
B. Proposed reorganization issues
C. Discussed budgetary concerns.
D. One good piece of news – State Board has put into its request to the legislature - $32M toward state employee compensation issues. Of course, no rush to get our hopes up…
VI. Election Committee Report (results) - Cody Bustamante ()
VII. Student Senate Report - Randy Johnson (Liya, substitute)
A. Reached 1,080 new voter registrations
B. Music Festival was successful overall, but a little disappointed with turnout
C. Working on get-out-the-vote – educating about measures and candidates
D. Announcing the Political Awareness Forum 7pm Wednesday Oct. 20th – Local Candidates will debate
E. Looking for new Student Senators in a couple of unfilled positions. Faculty can let their departments know to let students know.
F. ASSOU is in the preliminary stages for a faculty-student basketball game.
VIII. Student Vote Coalition Report - Gina Lutz () w/Mike O’Neil
A. Working hard on get-out-the-vote initiative – largest number of new first time voters since 1980
B. New Voters Project registered over 500,000 new voters 18-25 nationwide.
C. Will be contacting departments to do a disclosure survey regarding textbook issues.
D. Kicking off Hunger/Homeless Campaign
IX. Action Items - No action items scheduled for today.
X. Discussion Items
A. Human Resources Advisory Council (HRAC) Update – Cynthia Beckwith
1. Role of this committee is to advise VP on HR issues.
2. See two attachments regarding recommendations for collapsing two administrative positions – “Administrative Faculty” and “Administrative Professional” – into one. Name for this new position has not yet been determined.
3. Whitesitt – clarification of timing – Is it premature for us to be working on bylaw changes if the two categories have not yet been officially collapsed?
4. Barbara - Executive Council, Faculty Senate, and Administrators are three groups HRAC has been working with – and they’re trying to get this process completed with all three groups simultaneously. Before they can begin to implement the new policies and procedures around
5. Whitesitt – We ought to talk about representational issues regarding the new Administrative designation before we charge the Constitution Committee with rewriting the sections.
6. Name of new collapsed category? Cynthia – not a new name decided yet, even after canvassing the administrators. For the sake of policy formation, Zinn would suggest not using the title “Administrator” but come up with a working title – “Administrative Officers” has been informally used.
7. What would help us is having a sense of support for the idea of Administrators having representation on Senate and relevant committees. Trying not to create a sense of loss among administrators in terms of collaboration with the faculty governance system.
8. There are about 200 current administrators – about 50% in each of the current categories.
XI. Interinstitutional Faculty Senate (IFS) Report - Marny Rivera ()
A. IFS Meeting Oct. 8-9 – One guest was interim Chancellor – brought up issue of increasing faculty compensation – trying to get us up to the average of our peers over the next 6 years, including a 2.2% cost of living increases annually. Would like to hear about failed searches or lost faculty because of desire to attain higher compensation.
B. See attached IFS minutes for more details of this and other issues that came up during the most recent IFS meeting at
C. Encouraged faculty attendance at the meeting this coming Friday, October 22 re: the general education transfer module. Could be important to be familiar with it in order to have some influence rather than the chance that it might be imposed on us through legislation.
D. Legislature looking at decoupling PERS from ORP systems.
XII. Need for Bylaws Change (Committees based faculty; Sec 1.111) - Jon Harbaugh ()
A. With new
Updated Monday, February 7, 2005, 15:15:18