Minutes for February 18, 2002
Present: Jon Harbaugh, Diana Maltz, Mark Siders, Barbara Scott, Petey Young, Peg Sjogren, Greg Gassman, Doug Chapman, John Sollinger, Susan Walsh, Marianne Golding, Barbara Scott, Dale Vidmar, Sherry Ettlich, Linda Wilcox Young, Marc Levy, Garth Pittman, Michael Naumes, Kavinda Arthenayake, Jon Uto, John Fitton.
Absent: Marianne O’Sheeran, Gudrun Gill, Connie Anderson, Margaret Dibb
Guests: Diane Brimmer, Dr. Zinser, Mara Afree, Katy Bazylewicz, Ken Kempner, Ron Bolstad, Sib Farrell, Ed Battistella, Neil Kunze, Steve Jessup, Kevin Talbert
I. Approve minutes of 1/7/02
A. John Sollinger - Motion, - 2nd – approved with one abstention
A. Introduced Dr. Diane Brimmer, new VP for Student Affairs
III. Remarks from the President – Dr. Elisabeth Zinser
A. Reminder about not using University or State-employee position as a context for lobbying efforts to State government.
B. Handed out copy of latest draft of new Mission and Values Statements. Has attempted to integrate the input she’s received to this point. Hopes to solicit last bits of feedback and also to put together a group to finalize the statements over the summer to present to the campus in the Fall.
C. Empathized with our frustrations about the uncertainties of the budget issues, and plans to get input from the Faculty Senate Advisory Committee in the upcoming decision making processes.
D. Will also be actively discussing the issue of soliciting an interim Provost for next academic year. Plans to have an open campus forum this Friday at 4pm in the Redford Lounge. Welcomes individual feedback by any means as well.
IV. Remarks from the Provost – Dr. Sara Hopkins-Powell
A. Thanked Dr. Zinser for her support for her sabbatical opportunity for next year.
B. Have had two Advising meetings to brainstorm issues and problems and possible solutions for Advising practices at SOU. A couple of examples include:
1. One issue is the need to maximize continuity from the period of colloquium years into the “mainstream” curriculum paths.
2. What can be done to help faculty keep up with the constant changes in curricula, etc.?
C. Budget issues.
1. The biggest cuts will be coming from Academic Affairs this year, and more next year.
2. The level of cuts this year may be as much as double for next year.
3. Question from Linda Wilcox-Young – what will be the actual “contract” with the students if we move to a 2-year catalog. Answer: The only model we have in Oregon right now is EOU, where they use the web-based version as the “contract” during the interim year. Allows for some significant cost savings with the printing costs as well as the flexibility of updates during the “off” years.
4. Question from Jon Harbaugh – “What is the savings?” Answer: $22,000 per printing.
V. Remarks from the Student Senate – Jon Uto
A. Waiting for the Legislature and Governor to decide what they’re going to do, so we’ll know where to put our energies in the battles over the budget.
B. Student Senate retreat April 5th, 6th, 7th – to do some orientation with new Senate members, team building, and discussions about the future. Asks that any faculty who might be willing to come and share information or facilitate activities, please let him know.
VI. Report from Ron Bolstad, VP for Administration & Finance
A. Budget discussions are beginning to plan for the ’03-’05 biennium.
B. Institutions are required to submit capital requests by April 16th.
C. Being asked to submit plans for a 6-year time frame.
D. Two parts – general academic list (classrooms, etc.) and auxiliary list (everything else).
E. Looking to link the capital budget with the general operating budget.
F. Should address two themes: Student Access (ability to handle enrollment growth) and Program Needs (ability to deliver our programs with the physical facility resources we have).
G. Should be linked to Campus Master Plan and Strategic Plan
H. Should work to identify alternative sources of funding that State could match.
I. Starting point for deliberations: The list we submitted to the Chancellor two years ago – Theatre and Science additions and remodeling, bonding request for larger facility in Medford.
J. Time line – meeting with University Planning Committee on Feb. 28th, and with other University groups as time progresses.
K. Questions –
1. Kavinda – This is different from the $500M bond issue?
a) Yes, the Bond issue request is to authorize the sale of bonds over a 10-year period that will be placed on a ballot in 2003 for deferred maintenance projects. And this budget planning process is different from that.
2. Harbaugh – Do you have an idea of a dollar amount for the capital improvement needs here at SOU? About $60M. This is separate from the bond issue.
3. Dr. Zinser – Does the first request for capital construction affect our ability to get new monies for deferred maintenance from the bond issue? Perhaps we should put some of the eggs in both baskets – e.g., put some of the capital renewal projects also in the bond issue request.
VII. Discussion / Action Items
A. Curriculum Committee (Steve Jessup)
1. Motion to approve the first submission of courses for addition/change in the catalog
(1) Sherry Ettlich – what happened with the foreign language issue and whether it is considered Advanced Southern Credit? We are approving it with whatever name will be decided at a later time? Answer: the Foreign Language Department has agreed to use a name different from Advanced Southern Credit name in the catalog to refer to this program ‑‑ to be determined in the next couple of weeks.
b) Vote – Unanimous approval.
2. Presentation of new proposed curricular changes, including course descriptions for all of them.
3. Please look at these, and we’ll vote on them next meeting.
4. Working deadline for the last of the catalog changes is mid-March.
5. Curriculum Committee is looking at the demand for Synthesis & Application courses and the current availability. Hope to continue facilitating submission of more proposals.
6. Dale Vidmar – Thanked the committee for their hard work and “extra miles” they go on Saturdays.
7. Peggy Sjogren – Core Curriculum Committee will continue review S&A proposals even though they will not make it to the catalog for this year. If approved, they can still be listed in the course schedules.
B. Graduate Council – Michael Naumes
1. Putting forth a name change for the Group Facilitation & Training track of the Master in Applied Psychology program to “Organizational Training & Development.” Does not involve any specific changes in the curriculum. Rationale is to improve the marketability of the program through better representation of the curriculum in the name.
2. Motion to waive routine 2 week waiting period for vote – Sherry Ettlich. 2nd - Dale, unanimously approved.
3. Motion to endorse the name change (Michael Naumes), 2nd – Greg Gassman, unanimously approved.
C. Dr. Hopkins-Powell’s suggestion of a possible “Hour of Presence” (attached).
1. The Wednesday 2pm time would affect 86 classes.
2. Whether to participate would be optional.
3. Would be sponsored by the Provost’s office.
4. Motion to support the idea – Linda Wilcox-Young, 2nd – Susan Walsh. Unanimous approval.
D. Constitution Committee – Discussion Item - Sherry Ettlich
1. Minor language change in 5.223(c3) –
2. Concern about “raising the bar” for faculty in transition – that it might be a case of expecting more from newer faculty which would be unfair to them.
a) No, it really is simply a change in wording to better reflect what is expected.
3. Motion to suspend rule of 2-week waiting period – Dale Vidmar
4. Concerns expressed that wider campus community be informed prior to vote.
5. Motion to suspend rule withdrawn.
E. Technology Council (Dale Vidmar)
1. Minutes have been sent out to campus.
2. Kevin Talbert has gone over technology plan and it is developing better with each discussion.
a) Encouraged to look at the plan, available for review at http://www.sou.edu/it/techplan.
3. Discussion over “what is a lab”? Some may be wanting to get in on the lab fund although they are not truly a “lab.”
a) Definition of a Lab: A location with multiple computers with a single configuration, used by students, and recognized by the Technology Council and/or were created with Technology Council funding.
4. Considered a couple of late proposals.
5. Macromedia Suite proposal from vendor has fallen through.
F. Announcement – Mark Siders – Reminder about supporting the Career Fair this Thursday.
VIII. Presentation by student Kevin Bendaw who visited Kenya and shared experiences of the landscape, the culture, the university, and other students.
IX. Adjourned 5:47PM
Updated Friday, October 1, 2004, 21:10:11