Minutes for February 4, 2002
Present: Jon Harbaugh, Diana Maltz, Mark Siders, Barbara Scott, Petey Young, Peg Sjogren, Greg Gassman, , Doug Chapman, Gudrun Gill, John Sollinger, Susan Walsh, Marianne Golding, Barbara Scott, Dale Vidmar, Sherry Ettlich, Linda Wilcox Young, Marc Levy, Marianne O’Sheeran, Garth Pittman, Michael Naumes, Kavinda Arthenayake, Jon Uto, John Fitton.
Absent: George Converse, Connie Anderson, Margaret Dibb
Guests: Bill Danley, Dr. Zinser, Katy Bazylewicz, Ken Kempner, Ron Bolstad, Sib Farrell, Ed Battistella, Neil Kunze, Sue Burkholder, Steve Jessup, Kansas Callaway, Carl Thomas, Sib Farrell, Keith Chambers, John Laughlin, Kevin Talbert, Josie Wilmoth, Bud Rose, Charles Lane, Geoff Mills, Sandra Coyner.
I. Approve minutes of 1/7/02
A. Doug Chapman - Motion, Barbara Scott - 2nd – approved with one abstention
A. Reminder – Call in show on TV tonight with Rep. Bates – Sjogren encouraged us to listen and consider calling in to let our voices be heard prior to the convening of the Legislature this Friday.
B. Reminder – Open forum on the Chancellor search – 2/12 7am-9:30 at Red Lion in Medford with OUS representatives.
III. Remarks from the President – Dr. Elisabeth Zinser & Ron Bolstad
A. Just returned from a meeting with the Governor.
B. Governor and Legislature getting closer on the budget cutting issue but still far apart on revenue generation. Governor trying to get Legislature to look long term and not dip into one-time funds.
C. Discussion of commencement venue. Some measures have been taken to address security issues so that one more commencement can be held there this June. These are not measures that can be relied upon for the long term, so plans will most likely be made to move future commencements to the stadium, which Dr. Zinser is informally referring to as “Mountain Arena.”
IV. Remarks from the Provost – Dr. Sara Hopkins-Powell
A. Sent out notes to us prior to meeting. Welcomed feedback or input.
B. Published article in Chronicle of Higher Education. In response, someone wrote to her from Brandeis U. discussing an hour of silence – an hour dedicated to non-work activity and quiet. There are other schools in the Northeast that do this. Some do it on part of their campus, some throughout the campus.
1. Welcomed our input on the idea.
2. Asked that folks give it some consideration and let her know if they have an opinion.
C. Budget cut of 4% being made primarily from Office of Student Affairs.
D. March 15th is the first date they’d have to notify 9-month contracted people of cuts if necessary.
E. Next year will be worse, especially because of the full hit we’ll take from the increased compensation package.
V. Remarks from the Student Senate – Jon Uto
A. Group of students going to Salem to lobby for support from the Legislature this Friday.
B. Will express concern about access and several needs-based issues.
VI. Reports / Discussion
A. Venue for Commencement - E. Zinser (4:30)
B. Report from Geoff Mills, Associate Dean of Education
1. Summarized Center for Teaching & Learning activities, and provided handout with some details (see attachment).
2. Update on activities in the Education Dept, an outline of which was provided in a handout (see attachment).
C. Curriculum Committee - Steve Jessup, Chair (4:55)
1. Presented proposed curricular changes brought forward on behalf of the Curriculum Committee
2. Discussion ensued over language of Advanced Southern Credit under the Foreign Languages & Literatures section. Probably a misapplication of this terminology. Barbara Scott and Steve Jessup will follow-up on clarifying and re-naming the course addition.
3. Also discussed a discrepancy between the list of courses “Approved for General Education” and the list of “New Course Descriptions: 2002-2003 Catalog” – Steve Jessup will also follow up on this issue.
D. Honors Committee - S. Coyner (5:00)
1. Looking at suggestion of integrating Honors with Gen. Ed. Explorations sequences.
2. Best model for doing this is creating separate Honors sections to run in conjunction with Gen. Ed. Courses
3. Provost will fund a pilot project of creating three such sections next fall. With the funding, could offer backfill for departments that have faculty who participate.
4. Curriculum Committee currently reviewing proposal for this.
E. Topics from the September Senate Orientation – revisited.
1. Peg plans to address some of these (such as advising) by scheduling presentations / updates from some folks on campus who are working on them during the remainder of Senate meetings this year.
VII. Action Item - Constitution Committee (S. Ettlich) –
A. Section 5.315 – vote, dealing with faculty choice to appeal decisions made by a colleague evaluation committee (see attachment).
1. Linda Wilcox-Young move to approve changes, Petey Young 2nd, unanimous approval.
VIII. Committee Reports
A. IFS – Bill Danley & Marc Levy – attended IFS meeting February 1 & 2 at U of O in Eugene. DRAFT minutes from that meeting are attached.
B. Elections Committee – Doug Chapman
1. Chair elections in History and Biology over the break.
C. Technology Council
1. Lack of student representation on the committee is a concern.
2. Looking at purchasing a Macromedia suite of software – Dreamweaver, Flash, etc. – to help centralize the availability. Financially a good deal to do this at this time.
3. Kevin Talbert, Director of Information Technology, has outlined his draft budget for ‘02-’03.
4. Planning to provide more time allotment for people to come forward to the committee to speak on their technology proposals if they’d like.
IX. Adjourned 5:27PM
Updated Friday, October 1, 2004, 21:10:11