The Community Preschool at SOU
A Typical Day
The Preschool at SOU is in session Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. Families receive a school-year calendar and a monthly calendar and newsletter to keep you updated.
A Typical Morning - Foundational Preschool 8:00-11:45 am
The daily plan incorporates a variety of components, which involve whole group, small groups, or individual participation. We design the day to be a balance between structured activities and free choice. During the morning, you might find a variety of activities, including:
Children gather to share ideas, plan activities, and learn about the day's choices. During this time, children also engage in language and literacy activities (stories, poems, finger play, songs, drama and dance movement). During bunch time, a sense of community and cohesiveness is fostered.
Children engage in play and other activities, both inside and outside (weather permitting). A few daily activities may include:
- Open ended art activities (painting, drawing, cutting, gluing, playing with various clays and dough)
- Exploring water or other substances at the sensory tables
- Dress up and role play in one of the dramatic play areas
- Block building and construction
- Creative play with dolls, toy animals, etc.
- Cooking (cutting, spreading, mixing, health and nutrition)
- Music with SOU professors as well as musicians hired from the community
After Kinder Enrichment and continued day preschool are from 12:00 to 3:00 pm. The afternoon program provides an opportunity for extended play and enrichment activities. The schedule includes lunch (from home), rest time indoors, outdoor play and exploration. There will be an activity, snack, and small group time.