Welcome to the Oregon Writing Project at SOU!
Upcoming workshops and institutes
It's easy to apply for the summer 2015 institute: click here!
- Teaching Grammar in Context: A week-long institute for teachers (June 15-19, 2015) More information coming soon!
- Introduction to Writer's Workshop: A week-long institute for teachers (August 10-14, 2015). More information coming soon!
About the OWP at SOU
The Oregon Writing Project (OWP) at SOU is dedicated to improving the writing abilities of students by strengthening the teaching and learning of writing, providing professional development programs for classroom teachers,and expanding the leadership roles of teachers.
OWP at SOU is one of five campus sites in Oregon and serves the southwest area of the state. OWP is affiliated with the National Writing Project and funded in part by the Federal Government. For more than twenty years, the National Writing Project has promoted and developed teacher-presenters, teacher-consultants, and teacher-leaders all across the United States.
These principles guide our work:
- Writing is fundamental to learning in all disciplines.
- Effective teachers of writing regularly write themselves.
- Teachers learn best from other successful teachers.
- Universities, districts, and schools deepen their work through collaboration
Read about our 2013-14 activities
The 2013-14 year was busy and exciting for the OWP; the 2013-14 site report provides a full picture of our activities, including seminars, workshops, summer young authors' camps, and our pilot digital storytelling project. The highlight of our year was the summer 2014 three-week intensive Literacy Leadership Institute. This institute was funded largely by a federal SEED grant (Supporting Effective Educator Development).