Teach a Course
Instructors are at the heart of the OLLI member experience. We welcome and appreciate new and returning instructors. Note: instructors do not need to be OLLI members to teach at OLLI.
Some OLLI policies and procedures have recently changed, so please review the following points as well as the information on the Course Proposal Form [PDF] before preparing a proposal.
- The Curriculum Committee will review only those applications/proposals that are complete and submitted by the deadline. Late proposals may be reviewed after all on-time proposals have been reviewed, selected and assigned class times and locations.
- The Curriculum Committee aims to be as inclusive and flexible as possible in approving courses that meet the diverse interests of the OLLI community. Their principal focus is to ensure that course will be taught well and are described with sufficient clarity to enable members to make informed choices.
- The Curriculum Committee will make every effort to accommodate the first choice of class time and day for all instructors, but this will not always be possible. Providing alternate schedule choices in course proposals increases the chances of a proposal being accepted.
- Each term is ten weeks in length and each course typically is scheduled for one session per week for two to ten weeks. If a single session option is a preference, please contact the OLLI office to learn about OLLI’s lecture and forum series.
- Classroom venues include Ashland (at the Campbell Center of SOU and at ScienceWorks Museum) and Medford (at the Higher Education Center). Instructors are encouraged to consider either or both locations as potential venues.
- Prospective instructors are asked to submit a course description and a course outline, along with information that supports their qualifications to teach the material. Qualifications may be formal degrees and/or teaching experiences in a career or avocation, however, other evidence of requisite knowledge and skills in the proposed subject matter and successful experiences conveying knowledge to others will be considered. If you choose, OLLI can be of assistance in providing an orientation to teaching at OLLI.
- The OLLI Curriculum Committee will review completed applications. If the committee needs further clarification and/or documentation upon initial review of the completed form, a committee member will contact you. They will contact those who submitted course proposals at least one month prior to the start of the term about course acceptance and assigned day and time.
For clarification on any part of the form, call Sally Klein, OLLI at SOU Coordinator 541-552-6048. For questions about course content or teaching approach, consult the Chair of the Curriculum Committee, Sandy Theis at email@example.com or 488-7917.
This form can be typed into on your computer - Note: Mac users, do not use Mac "Preview" to fill out PDF forms. Save the PDF to your computer and use Acrobat Reader to fill it out. You may also print this form and fill it out by hand.]