Improving Proficiency in High School Language Programs
Southern Oregon Foreign Language Articulation
NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND Grant:
Oregon University/School Partnerships
The last federal grant in which SOFLA paricipated was in 2004-07. The grant had the following objectives.
- Rework the SOSLA (Southern Oregon Second Language Assessment - oral assessment instrument) to assess through benchmark level 5.
- Assess language students in first through fourth year middle school and high school programs in participating districts to determine current proficiency levels and monitor student progress.
- Develop curricular materials to assist language teachers in helping students to meet benchmark IV proficiency by the end of fourth year (the PASS admissions benchmark level).
- Train teachers in the use of SOFLA developed assessment instruments, provide support to ensure valid assessments, and develop a tester certification process to verify assessor competency.
- Develop an assessment plan that will allow participating districts to continue ongoing assessments after the grant period.
- Train teachers in the use of materials and methods to teach for proficiency, particularly beyond benchmarks 1-3.