Office of International Programs
Transferring Your F-1 Student Visa
If you already possess an F-1 student visa and are in good visa standing at your current school, you can have your visa transferred to SOU. You must begin your classes or program within five months of transferring out of your current school, completing your program or the end date of your OPT employment, whichever comes earlier. If you do not meet this requirement, you can depart the country and return as a new F-1 nonimmigrant.
International travel is not advised during the visa transfer process. Please do not travel abroad until your visa has been transferred to SOU and you have been issued an initial I-20 or DS-2019 document.
- Notify your present school of your intent to transfer. Your advisor will make the necessary changes in SEVIS. A release date will be assigned to your SEVIS record.
- Have your current advisor complete our Visa Transfer Request form and submit it to our office via fax, mail or email.
- After the release date has passed, the International Student Advisor at SOU will issue a new initial I-20 or DS-2019 for you. Please sign this document immediately.
- When you are officially registered at SOU, the International Student Advisor will issue your activate your SOU SEVIS Record.
- Remember, keep all outdated I-20s or DS-2019s for your records.