Skip Navigation

Southern Oregon University

Before looking through our FAQs, it may be beneficial to browse through two very helpful documents that detail moving to SOU and the policies and procedures you will be expected to follow while living here.  You may find that the answers to your questions are in these documents: 

  • Smart Moves - a helpful, concise break down of what to expect when moving to SOU and to campus
  • Guide to Residence Life and Community Living - a thorough document detailing policies, procedures, safety, and other important topics of interest

Do I have to live in a residence hall?

Living on campus at Southern Oregon University provides first year students with academic advantages as well as easing the transition to University life. Therefore, single freshman students who enroll at SOU within one year of high school graduation must live in the residence halls. Living on campus offers many advantages to our students: Convenience, Cost, and Community. For more on the benefits of living on campus, check out Advantages to Living on Campus.

What are my chances of getting the hall I want?

Housing assignments are made based on when you submit your housing application. The housing application will not be available until the end of March. Once live, you can find the housing application by logging onto MySOU. We assign hall preferences by the date we receive your housing appliction. The sooner you apply, the more likely you will get your first preference.

Once you've applied, you will receive your housing assignment around the start of August.

What about requesting a single room or a specific roommate?

Single rooms are also assigned by date of deposit order. If having a single room is a priority for you, be sure to get your application in as soon as possible as there are only a limited number of single rooms.

If you would like to have a specific roommate, it's important that you and your roommate request each other on your application. The sooner your application is turned in, the more likely it is that you and your preferred roommate will be able to live together in the hall of your choosing.

What can I do if I don't get my preferences?

We have waiting lists for both double and single rooms in all our halls. Throughout the year, we offer spaces to people as they become available.

Can I live in the residence halls for just a term?

Our residence hall contract is designed so that it lasts until the end of the school year in June.  For more information on how contracts work, please see below.

Note: Freshmen within one year of High School graduation are required to live on campus all year.

How do the contracts work?

The academic year contract is where you agree to live on campus for the entire year. It has no sign up charge but you are charged contractual fees of $20.00/day left in the year if you move out before the end of the academic year. There are exceptions...if you graduate, withdraw from school, or meet other criteria established by the Housing Policy Committee, you can be exempt from paying penalties. Contact the Housing Office or review your contract for more details.

How is the roommate selected? What if we don't get along?

We offer a questionnaire as part of your application in an effort to match students with roomates that have similar interests and expectations. Learning to live with a roommate can be quite an adjustment. We feel that learning to get along with a roommate and learning to embrace diversity while better defining yourself is an integral part of the on-campus experience. If, however, you feel you have been improperly matched and cannot live with a particular roommate, you may put your name on our waiting list and we will contact you as space becomes available.

Who can I talk to if I need help?

Your hall is staffed by resident assistants and headed by an area coordinator. All Staff have been trained not only to deal with crisis situations, but are also there to provide support, information, and programming. The hall staff has been hired through a competitive selection process, and there is a staff member on duty from 7pm-8am every night to provide security, guidance, or a friend in which to talk. They are there to maintain safety and enforce policy.

What furnishings will I find in my room?

All student rooms are equipped with a wooden bunkable bed (extra long twin), a desk and chair, bookshelves, closet, bureau, and a waste basket. The rooms also include expanded basic cable TV service and an Ethernet jack.

What should I bring?

Basically, anything you think you'll need in order to feel at home. Remember that you'll probably be sharing a room with another person, so try not to bring so much you'll both feel crowded. We highly recommend calling your roommate so you can coordinate what to bring. A complete list of what to bring and what to leave behind is in the Smart Moves brochure.

Will I be able to study in my hall?

Of course. Most of the halls have study lounges, and you can study in your room. If you find that you cannot study because your neighbor is too loud, simply ask them to keep their volume down. Most will reciprocate, knowing that they will need the favor returned someday. If they are uncooperative, ask your hall staff to intervene. If having a quiet environment is a priority, you may want to apply to live in one of our quiet halls. Ivy, Susanne Homes, and Madrone are 24 hour quiet halls, and Greensprings D is a 14 hour quiet hall. All other halls maintain courtesy hours in the evening so students can rest and study.

Are pets allowed in the halls?

Only fish. And plants.

Will the residence hall be open during breaks?

The residence halls are open both Thanksgiving and Spring Breaks. Food service is not available during both of these times, so be prepared to make your own meals or eat out during these breaks. For students needing housing during Winter Break, a conference hall will be open for residence hall students. Students needing housing over the Winter Break should contact the Housing Office for more information.

Where do I eat?

Your student ID card is good at any of the eateries on campus, plus the soda and vending machines located in all of the buildings. The Cascade Food Court, located in the Cascade Complex, is the main dining facility and offers several hot entrees each meal as well as sandwiches, soups, doughnuts and bagels, and grab-n-go snacks. Also available is a snack shop in the Greensprings complex.

The Student Union offers a variety of eateries which includes Erbert's and Gerbert's Sandwich Shop, Asian Fusion, Bravo (Pizza, Calzones, and Salads), Chilaca Mucho Burrito and More, Stack Burger, and Java Union.

In Fall of 2013, a new foodcourt will be opening with our new residence halls, The North Campus Village. This foodcourt will replace our Cascade Food Court.

How do the meal plans work?

A meal plan consists of meal points and flex dollars.

Meal points are used in the Cascade Food Court and allow students to purchase an entire meal. A meal plan will have 6, 10, or 14 meals per week, depending on size. Meal points DO NOT transfer over from one week to the next.

Flex dollars are able to be spent at any campus dining location as well as coffee shops and vending machines on campus. Meal plans have 250, 350, and 400 flex points per term, and more can be added throughout the term. Flex dollars transfer from Fall term to Winter term, and from Winter term to Spring term, but DO NOT transfer over academic years.

If you find that a meal plan is too small, you can increase its size at any time.

Decreasing your meal plan can only be done during the first week of the term.