Environmental Science and Policy is the investigation and body of knowledge related to the dynamic interactions between people and natural systems.
At SOU, the Environmental Science and Policy program provides the opportunity to develop an understanding of the complexity of natural systems, natural resource use and sustainability enabling students to appreciate and solve dynamic environmental issues.
In the Environmental Science and Policy program students will research and address such global issues as climate change, water resource management, energy use, sustainable development, and the conservation of biodiversity.
SOU offers a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Studies that prepares students for a wide variety of employment in such organizations as governmental agencies, industry, non-profits and environmental consulting firms. A BS in Environmental Studies prepares students for graduate and professional schools in areas such as environmental policy and management, law, public policy, and environmental science.
A Bachelor of Science in Environmental Studies integrates natural sciences and social sciences to address complex environmental issues. The ES faculty has expertise in multiple disciplines including biology, geology, sociology, economics, geography, and anthropology. This diversity of areas allows the student to customize their ES Degree to their individual interests.
ES Majors learn the fundamentals of those fields in a common ES Core of courses and acquire vital employable skills including:
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
- Global positioning Systems (GPS)
- Remote Sensing
- Statistics and Environmental Data Analysis
The ES Major prepares students for careers in:
- Conservation and ecosystem management
- Earth science
- Land use planning
- Environmental policy
- Environmental consulting
- Alternative energy
- Water resource management
ES Majors have opportunities to participate in international exchange programs to environmentally significant areas, including:
- New Zealand
- Costa Rica
The Environmental Science and Policy program at SOU also supports the following minors and certificates:
- Anthropology (28 credits)
- Biology (27 credits)
- Business Administration (24 credits)
- Chemistry (28 credits)
- Communication Studies (28 credits)
- Computer Science (28 credits)
- Conflict Resolution (24 credits)
- Emerging Media and Digital Arts (28 credits)
- Film, Television, and Convergent Media (28 credits)
- Land Use Planning (28 credits)
- Outdoor Adventure Leadership (26 credits)
- Sociology (24 credits)
- Applied Cultural Anthropology Certificate (36)
- Certificate in Conflict Resolution (36)
- Certificate in Nonprofit Management (24)
- Certificate in Sustainability Leadership (32)
- Cultural Resource Management Certificate (36)
- Regional Studies & Applied Research Certificate (36)