Perkins Loans: Cancellation
Borrowers who perform services in the following occupations after graduation may be eligible to have portions of their Perkins loan deferred for periods of up to one year and cancellation for each full year of service. Forms may be downloaded at http://www.ecsi.net/bwr/forms/defcanc.html.
- Full-time teacher in an elementary or secondary school with a high concentration of students from low income families.
- Full-time special education teacher in an elementary or secondary school.
- Full-time teacher in an elementary or secondary school in the fields of mathematics, science, foreign languages, bilingual education, or any other field of expertise that is determined by the State Department of Education to have a shortage of qualified teachers.
- Full-time qualified professional provider of early intervention services in a public or nonprofit program.
- Full-time law enforcement or corrections officer.
- Full-time nurse or medical technician.
- Full-time employee of a child or family service agency.
- Full-time staff member in the educational component of a Head Start Program.
- Member of the Armed Forces in an area of hostilities.
- Volunteer under the Peace Corps Act or Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973.
Questions about cancellation may also be directed to: LTLoan@sou.edu.