Perkins Loans: Deferment
- Enrolled and in attendance as a regular student in at least a half-time course of study in an institution of higher education or approved fellowship program. (This does not include a medical internship or residency program, except a residency in dentistry.)
- Enrolled and in attendance as a regular student in an approved rehabilitation training program for disabled individuals.
- Engaged in services which are eligible for Cancellation benefits (see below.)
- Serving in a residency program in dentistry.
- Military Service
- Unemployed and unable to find a job.
- Experiencing financial hardship
Download and complete the deferment form that best matches your circumstances and return it the Long Term Loans department at SOU (See Contact Info).
The latest information concerning changes to forbearance and deferment eligibility created by the new College Cost Reduction And Access Act (CCRA) that went into effect on October 1, 2007 can be found at: http://studentaid.ed.gov/.