English and Writing Program
"I became an English major because reading
and writing well is an eminently practical skill.
The ability to read, write, or edit text
is a core competency in any profession."
2004 James K. Bowen Scholarship winner
Each year we present ten awards to bright and outstanding students. We value their achievements and believe their efforts need recognition. By awarding these students, we hope their peers will emulate their dedication to their studies and community engagement.
The awards reflect students' efforts to master the craft of writing, analyze the texts of Shakespeare and other authors, and explore Multicultural issues. Faculty members nominate and vote for those students they believe most deserve the awards, which are presented at an annual awards ceremony. The awards include an official SOU certificate and an individually chosen book or gift certificate.
- Carol McNair Shakespeare Award
- Michael Baughman Fiction Award
- Herman Schmeling Award for Expository Writing
- Robert L. Casebeer Poetry Award
- Art Kreisman Award for Creative Writing
- Outstanding Graduating Senior Majoring in Literature
- Outstanding Graduating Senior Majoring in Writing
- Outstanding Critical Essayist in Literature
- Outstanding Student Teacher of English
- Catherine Molinar Knapp Multicultural Award