Earn Your Teaching License
Teachers Change the World One Child at a Time
It is a wonderful time to get a teaching license. As the baby boom generation retires, the demand for teachers is up in Oregon and across the nation.
- 79% of SOU teacher education gradutes in 2013 have found full-time teaching jobs locally!!
- For graduates who can relocate, the employment rate is over 90%!
It is an exciting time to enter the field of education as teachers and schools implement more project-based, interactive instructional strategies to help young people learn knowledge, skills, and dispositions that will aid them in all facets of their lives.
Congratulations, you are embarking on an exciting educational journey as you prepare to enter the teaching profession.
Applications Deadline: January 10, 2014 for the cohorts beginning June 2014
- One-year, Full-time program - cohort begins in June each year and ends in July the following year. Students are encouraged to seek licensing to teach in one of the following combinations - early childhood/elementary, elementary/middle, or middle/high.
- Two-year program - cohort begins in June each year. First year coursework is delivered one night a week and one Saturday a month. During the second year, students begin their classroom student teaching experience during the day. Students can seek licensing in the same grade combinations are listed for the one-year program.
- Special Education - cohort begins in June each year. This is a full-time program, ending the following spring term. Students will be able to teach across categories (mild/moderate, severe needs) at the specific grade level.
"Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions." ~Author Unknown