School of Education
Early Childhood Development
To provide support for early childhood professionals in the community and to allow our online students a venue to work face-to-face with their peers, we have developed a series of Early Childhood Development Workshops. They are open to students and non-students. Current ECD or EE majors can register through MySOU, other SOU students may email the instructor for override to register. One unit of ED 399 credit will be available for those that attend for the full 8 hours and complete the final project. For more information contact Angela at 541-552-6332 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Classes held at the Higher Education Center (HEC) in Medford - room 226 - unless otherwise noted. Be aware that you can park on the streets by the HEC on Saturday, parking is not enforced.
We have also add a series of workshop designed for preschool Directors & Lead-Teachers. We are offering one workshop per term. Please visit the Director's site for dates, information, and registration.
Course descriptions (more descriptions to come!)
Oct. 13, 2012 - Learn about a Care Farm
- Sands Stockwell/Della Merrill
NOTE: The Care Farm workshop will be held at Sanctuary One in the Applegate Valley - map
Nov. 3, 2012 - Empowering Children - Building Their Inner Strengths
- Janai Lowenstein
NOTE: Students will need to purchase a packet of materials from instructor - $12
Dec. 1, 2012 - Creating Balance in the Classroom (CLASS IS FULL!)
- DD Meeks
Jan. 26, 2013 - Engaging Children through Singing, Playing, & Imagination (CLASS IS FULL!)
- Pam Vellutini, Betty Phillips, Tony Williamson
Feb. 16, 2013 - Darkness-to-Light/Child Abuse Prevention
- Marlene Mish
Mar. 9, 2013 - Early Childhood Environments (CLASS IS FULL!)
- Sue Hamilton
NOTE: This workshop will visit several early childhood sites in Grants Pass
Students will meet at the Early Childhood Education Center - Redwood Campus of Rogue Community College,
3345 Redwood Highway, Grants Pass, Oregon
The Redwood Campus (RWC) is located in Grants Pass
- From Interstate 5 take Grants Pass Exit No. 55. The freeway exit sign lists Rogue Community College.
- You will be on Redwood Highway (Hwy. 199: aka Grants Pass Parkway). Go through all the stoplights - about 4 miles.
- Turn left at the first college entrance sign ("east entrance") where there's a left-turn lane.
- Take an immediate right onto the frontage road, Demaray Drive.
- Stay on Demaray for about ¾ mile and turn right on College Drive where there is a sign for the college.
- Stay on College Drive as it winds around for about ¼ mile, making no right turns.
April 13, 2013 - Working with Low-Income Families
- Felicity Elworthy (Materials used in the workshop)
May 11, 2013 - Montessori, Reggio, Waldorf...What's the Difference, What's the Same?
This workshop will be held at Roots & Wings is 1801 E. Jackson Medford. Located at the Medford Congregational United Church of Christ.
- Younghee Kim
June 1, 2013 - Working with Culturally & Linguistically Diverse Children
- Megan Farnsworth