Students will assemble their evidence of meeting these proficiencies (listed below) in Ed 520, Professional Portfolio course. The course instructor will define the expectations, however the student is advised to compile evidence prior to enrolling in Ed 520 and use coursework, work experience, and professional judgement to satisfy the requirements for appropriate evidence. For example, the structure for the evidence section of the portfolio itself might be:
A. Statement of the Standard
B. Explanation of the Standard
C. Teaching Scenario
D. Cover Sheet for Artifact
**The exact requirements are determined by the instructor of record, and the student is advised to seek more information when questions arise.
The 10 Advanced Teaching Proficiencies
Oregon's Teaching Standards and Practices Commission requires that the candidate for a Continuing Teaching License document competence as a teacher as specified:
- Assess knowledge and skills of students in relation to long-term content goals State content standards, and district standards, and determine the knowledge and skills each student needs to accomplish them.
- Design instructional plans that incorporate knowledge of students' developmental accomplishments consistent with content standards and district standards.
- Establish a classroom climate conducive to learning, e.g., positive classroom management, a safe and developmentally appropriate environment, efficient organization of time and materials, and effective transitions.
- Implement instructional plans that employ knowledge of subject matter and use research-based educational practices that reflect how students learn, are sensitive to individual differences and diverse cultures, and encourage parent participation.
- Collaborate with parents, colleagues, and members of the community to provide internal and external assistance to students, and to their families.
- Evaluate student progress in learning, refine plans for instruction, and establish alternative learning options when necessary.
- Document and report the progress of students in achieving content standards and district standards.
Document competency as a professional educator through:
- Use of emerging research on teaching, learning and school improvement to enhance practices.
- Participation in designing, evaluating and improving opportunities for teaching and learning in an educational institution.
- Collaboration with one's colleagues to enhance job performance and advance teaching as a profession.