Deaf & Hard of Hearing Services
Klamath Falls, Oregon / Criminology & Criminal Justice / Class of 2010
I became a butterfly. I grew my wings. I developed good friendships on this campus, and my friends are learning sign language. SOU makes me feel like I fit everywhere. We all accept each other here.
Welcome to SOU's Program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing!
We are here to provide accommodations for a myriad of communication needs...
- Are you looking for a university environment where accommodations are supported and integrated into the classroom, extracurricular activities, events on campus, and job opportunities as a student?
- Are you looking for a university environment that is fully inclusive whether you are deaf, hard of hearing, late-deafened, deaf-blind, or have Usher's Syndrome?
- Do you prefer to use interpreters, CART, or Assistive Listening Devices?
- Would you like to be part of a program that is using cutting-edge technology to support CART needs and/or interpreting needs, such as remote captioning?
- Do you prefer to use technology as a tool to support your learning style?
- Do you need extra help with English while attending SOU?
- Would you like to be part of a deaf and hard of hearing community that is growing?
If this is intriguing to you, then come to the charming town of Ashland, OR… home of SOU, the world renowned Oregon Shakespeare Festival, and many outdoor activities. While Ashland has a small town atmosphere, it is also close to Medford, which is the largest city in southern Oregon and one of the the fastest growing regions in the state.
If you would like more information, please contact Ila Sachs, our Program Coordinator for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services. Ila is a certified interpreter with 20+ years of experience in the post-secondary arena.
Come join us and be part of our dream!
- Instructor tips for working with Deaf and hard of hearing students & interpreters
- Instructor tips for working with students who are hard of hearing
- Policies & Procedures for Using an Interpreter
- RID/NAD Code of Professional Conduct for Interpreters (summary) (Full version at RID.org)
- Policies & Procedures for Using CART