Skip Navigation

Southern Oregon University

This page provides instructions on how to apply to SOU (and obtain financial aid if applicable).

Note: We recommend using this Online Student Checklist to guide you from the application process through your first day of classes.

Applying for Non-Admitted Status

If you are not interested in pursuing a degree from SOU but want to enroll in one or two classes, you can apply to be a non-admitted student. This quick-admit process allows you to register for up to 8 credit hours without being formally admitted to SOU. You will need to complete this application form, however, no transcripts are required and there is no application fee. Note that non-admitted students are not eligible for financial aid. For instructions on completing the application, see:

NOTE: On the first application screen after you log in, the Application Type defaults to Undergraduate. Be sure to select Non-Admitted Undergraduate (or Non-Admitted Graduate, as applicable). Otherwise, you will be submitting a formal application for undergraduate admission and will not be able to change the type.

The Login ID you created for the application is to access the application only. You will be assigned a new user name to access SOU systems. Please see these instructions for more details.

If you are applying for non-admitted status, you may skip the rest of this page and go directly to Registering for Your Course. Please read those instructions before actually registering for any courses.

Applying for Formal Admission to SOU

Students interested in a degree completion program or a graduate or post-baccalaureate program must complete one or more applications for admission. Detailed instructions for completing an online application are available in PDF format and video format. (Formerly admitted students who are returning to SOU do not need to complete the application again.) 

  • Bachelor's Degree Completion Programs - To apply to one of our degree completion programs (Business Administration, Criminology & Criminal Justice, and Early Childhood Development), you must complete the prerequisite courses and complete an Application for Admission. Business Administration students must also apply to the School of Business. Contact a Business Administration coordinator for details. 
  • Graduate or Post-Baccalaureate Programs - Students interested in graduate or post-baccalaureate programs must submit an Application for Graduate Admission. In addition, those entering a Master's program or completing an endorsement in Education must also apply to the School of Education. Contact the School of Education coordinator for details.

Obtaining Financial Aid

Students who have been formally admitted to SOU can be considered for financial aid. Your eligibility amount depends on the number of credit hours for which you enroll. Undergraduates must be enrolled for at least 6 credits to receive partial aid consideration and 12 credits for full aid consideration. Graduate students must enroll in at least 5 credits to receive financial aid as part-time students or 9 credits to be considered full-time students. Non-admitted students are not eligible for financial aid.

Detailed instructions and a checklist are available on the Financial Aid Office Website. (The financial aid checklist mentions attending a Raider Registration event. Online students are not required to do so.) Also, you can see and hear an Overview of the Financial Aid Process.

Community College Agreements - Students can be co-enrolled at SOU and eligible community colleges and receive aid for the combined credits. To be eligible, you must be admitted to SOU and take at least half your credits during the term at SOU. Eligible community colleges include Blue Mountain CC, Central Oregon CC, Chemeketa CC, Klamath CC, Linn-Benton CC, Rogue CC, Southwestern Oregon CC, and Umpqua CC. To apply for this program, you must complete the Concurrent Enrollment Form for your community college. To download the form:

  1. Go to the Financial Aid Worksheets and Forms page.
  2. Click on the Worksheets and Forms link for the applicable school year.
  3. Under the heading Consortium Agreement, click on the Concurrent Enrollment Form for your community college.

Note: Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Scholarships and the California Exchange Program rates do not apply to online courses.

Go to Registering for Your Course · Return to Contents Page