Overview of Online Courses at SOU
This page describes the types of distance courses offered at SOU, how to find the schedule and fees for online courses, degrees and programs offered online, and how to contact the coordinator for each program.
Types of Distance Courses
The term distance education is used to describe formal learning activities that occur when the student and instructor are separated by time and geographic location. While we offer three types of distance education courses at SOU, the majority are either fully or partially online. The three types are:
- Online — In a fully online course, all instruction occurs over the Internet. You can take the course from the convenience of your home, office, etc., 24 hours a day, seven days a week. You access course content and resources, participate in discussions, submit assignments, and interact with the instructor and your classmates through an application called Moodle. Note: Although an online course offers flexibility, each course has a start and end date, and each assignment has a specific deadline. Also, some courses may require a few online meetings on specific dates and times. Your instructor will provide advance notice of dates and times when such meetings are required.
- Hybrid — A hybrid course is a combination of online course work and on-site (or two-way video) meetings. Some hybrid courses meet every other week while others meet only at the beginning and end of the term. When you register for a hybrid course, you will be informed of the specific meeting dates so you can plan accordingly.
- Two-Way Video — A few courses are delivered using interactive video. These courses meet on a regular day/time using two-way video transmission. We presently transmit to sites in Medford, Klamath Falls, Grants Pass, Roseburg, and Coos Bay.
Schedule of Online Courses
Courses offered online vary each quarter. You can identify online courses by:
- Searching the SOU Class Schedule. Online courses are displayed in green text.
- Use the Advanced Search feature to limit your search to courses delivered online. Instructions can be found on the Class Schedule and Fees page.
- Search for online courses when you're ready to register for courses.
You can find costs for each online course listed on the Class Schedule and Fees page. Please note the following:
- SOU charges course fees instead of tuition for online courses.
- Fees for online courses are the same for Oregon and out-of-state residents. Students taking online courses exclusively are not assessed building, incidental, green tag, health service, and health insurance fees.
- Students taking hybrid, two-way video, and on-campus courses are charged building, incidental, green tag, health service and health insurance fees. For current fees, refer to Tuition and Fee Schedules.
- Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) Scholarships and the California Exchange Program do not apply to online courses.
Online Degrees, Programs and Coordinators
We offer a variety of online programs. For details, see the Programs and Degrees page. Also, please refer to the Contact Us page to contact the coordinator for the program in which you are interested.