Degree Completion Programs
Psychology Degree Completion
- Fulfill baccalaureate degree requirements as stated in current SOU catalog.
- A minimum of 57 credits in psychology, at least 36 credits of which must be upper division, is required for the baccalaureate degree, including:
- Courses required for admission into PSY 498 and 499 (17 credits): PSY 201, 202, 211, 228, and 229.
- Core curriculum (19 credits): PSY 334 or 370; PSY 341 or PSY 344 or PSY 353; 351, one approved upper division multicultural/diversity course, and PSY 498, 499. PSY 334 must be taken from the Psychology Department. The multicultural/diversity course must be selected from approved psychology courses, including PSY 369, 465, 479, 487, 489, 492, and 495.
- Psychology electives (16 credits, of which 12 must be upper division). Transfer courses in the same content area, equivalent to SOU offerings, may not be used to fulfill both core and elective areas.
- A minimum grade of C+ for each psychology course counted toward the major or the minor, plus a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 in all psychology courses are required for a BA or BS in psychology or human service.
- Writing, critical-thinking skills, and research competencies will be achieved as components in PSY 201, 202, 228, 229, and 499.
Note: A maximum of 6 credits from human service and practicum courses (PSY 209, 309, 409, and 416) may be counted toward the 57 credits needed for a psychology degree.
A minimum of 180 credits is required to graduate from SOU. Factors such as the number of hours and types of courses transferred to SOU may affect the total number of credits accrued in satisfying all requirements for graduation with a psychology major.
If you'd like more information about the Psychology Degree Completion Program please contact an advisor for more details.