Language, Literature, and Philosophy
Through its mission, the Department of Language, Literature, and Philosophy reflects the overall vision of Southern Oregon University as a liberal-arts university.
- LLP is dedicated to developing students’ analytic reasoning, communicative language learning, creative expression, textual comprehension, historical and cultural awareness, and skills in writing and teaching.
- We provide practical opportunities such as internships, practica, study abroad, and community service.
- The department encompasses a variety of programs and concentrations: Foreign Languages and Literatures, English and Writing, and Philosophy. While advocating interdisciplinarity, we are equally committed to promoting the integrity of individual disciplines within our larger department.
- We introduce students to foundational ideas, questions, and texts.
- We strive to reinforce students’ ethical reflection on their values, critical thinking, and respect for diverse perspectives.
- We believe that all students should develop competency in English and at least one other language.
- We actively pursue academic and institutional alliances beyond our own department.
- We hold both ourselves and our students to high standards of intellectual integrity.
- We emphasize creativity, drawing on innovative texts and teaching practices to inspire original writing and thinking from our students.