2013-2014 Speaker of the Senate
ASSOU term 2013 - 2014
Andrew Ensslin Biography is listed with Senator of Gender Equality and Sexual Diversity
Job Description: Below are some of the duties of the Speaker of the Senate
1. The Speaker of the Senate shall be a Senator who will serve as the leader and coordinator of the Senate body and its respective officers, and chair all meetings of the Senate.
2. The Speaker shall be elected by the Senate body in the spring term after the senatorial elections have been certified or whenever the position of Speaker is vacant.
3. The election of the Speaker shall be made by a majority vote of the Senate body.
4. Upon vacancy of the office of Speaker, the Vice Speaker shall assume that office upon the majority vote of the Senate body.
5. The Speaker shall have weekly meetings with the Vice Speaker to prepare for the next upcoming Senate meeting and the general business of the Legislative Branch.
6. The Speaker shall be a voting member of the Senate body.
7. The Speaker of the Senate shall meet with all Senators at least once per term, or as needed, to discuss yearly, term, and individual goals.
8. Senators are expected to fulfill any additional Senate-related job duties as appointed by the Senate body or by the Speaker of the Senate.
9. The Speaker of the Senate shall be charged with ensuring that all members of the Senate fulfill their duties of office as described in Section 2 of the Legislative Branch Rules.
10. Meeting times of the ASSOU Senate shall be determined by the Speaker of the Senate,with the advice and consent of the Senate.
11. The Speaker of the Senate, in consultation with the Vice Speaker, shall create and distribute the weekly Senate Agenda no later than 48 hours prior to a meeting.
12. Special Sessions of the Senate may be called by the Speaker of the Senate.
13. The Speaker of the Senate shall ensure that all Senate applicants to open positions meet the requirements of office as described in Section 4.2 of the Legislative Branch Rules
14. The Speaker of the Senate shall have the authority to assign emergency status to any legislation, and all legislation must be presented to the Senate in proper format as determined by the Speaker.
15. The Speaker of the Senate shall sit on the Heads of Government Committee with the Student Body President and Chief Justice.
16. The Speaker of the Senate shall Chair the Committee on Committees and shall choose the membership of that body.
17. The Speaker of the Senate shall sit on the Bylaws Committee.
18. The Speaker of the Senate shall sit on the ASSOU Budget Committee.
19. The Speaker of the Senate shall sit on the Advisory Council of ASSOU.