Skip Navigation

Southern Oregon University

ADMISSIONS            Freshman | Transfer | International | Graduate

adm admitted students header

Transferring Your F-1 Student Visa

If you already possess an F-1 student visa and are in good visa standing at your current school, you can have your visa transferred to Southern Oregon University. You must begin your classes or program within five months of transferring out of your current school, completing your program or the end date of your Optional Practical Training (OPT) employment, whichever comes earlier. If you do not meet this requirement, you can depart the country and return as a new F-1 nonimmigrant.

International travel is not advised during the visa transfer process. Please do not travel abroad until your visa has been transferred to SOU and you have been issued an initial I-20 document.  Please keep in mind that you should notify both your present school and SOU of your intent to transfer as soon as possible to ensure that the transfer process goes smoothly. 

1. Notify your present school of your intent to transfer. Your advisor will make the necessary changes in SEVIS. A release date will be assigned to your SEVIS record.

2. Have your current advisor complete our Visa Transfer Request form and submit it to our office via fax, mail or email.

3. After the release date has passed,  SOU will issue a new initial I-20 or DS-2019 for you. Please sign this document immediately.

4. When you are officially registered at SOU, the International Student Advisor will update your SEVIS Record.

Remember, keep all outdated I-20s or DS-2019s for your records.

For additional assistance, contact the Office of International Programs.