Scene Painting Intensive
Past Elective Course
July 22-27, 2012
This week long intensive course will take place in Southern Oregon University's Scene Shop. Students will engage in an intensive workshop learning scene painting for theater from the brush up. This class is specifically designed for the needs of High School and college teachers who find themselves in charge of painting scenery but have no real training. The course begins with the basics of brushes, paint and basic techniques and progresses through the week in a series of projects to develop skills and inspire classroom lesson plans. Topics include, faux finishes, Trompe-l'œil, drop layout, methods of paining on various scenic materials, and an enormous amount of hands on interactive skill building. Come ready to paint. Please contact Sean O'Skea email@example.com for more information.
Sean O'Skea, Scenic Design faculty at SOU
Here's what our students say:
- "Sean provided incredibly useful, hands-on experiences for our cohort. He seems to have a genuine understanding of the practical needs of his students as well as possess the ability to differentiate instruction. He is generous with his resources--assisting us, as teachers, to genuinely become more skilled in the area of technical theatre. High, high praise for Sean. Sean is always very passionate and energetic. His style of teaching is something that really engages all of us. He is very knowledgeable and he makes the challenges of the 'artwork' really accessible and allows us to work, fail, improve and GROW. He is very professional, and he is very good at what he does."
- "I can't wait to show my students what I did! Yes, I plan to use the shading techniques and the brick work asap!"
- "Sean is a gifted teacher. He is prepared, thorough and patient. He presents usable lesson-plans that are created to fit within the time frame offered and are applicable to a high school theatre curriculum. I really enjoyed his session and will implement the tools I learned from him in my scenic painting projects."
- "The course was challenging, fun and gave me the confidence to paint."
- " I'm feeling pretty darn talented right about now."
|9:00-11:00 am||Morning Session|
|11:30 am-12:30 pm||Lunch|
|1:00-3:00 pm||Afternoon Session I|
|3:30-5:30 pm||Afternoon Session II|
Evening Schedule 2012
|Sunday 7/22||Welcome, Orientation|
|Wednesday 7/25||8:30 OSF Play: ALL THE WAY|
Application deadline is postmarked April 1, 2012. Space is limited to sixteen students.
Prerequisite: Bachelor's degree or permission of the instructor. ACTS Master of Theatre Studies students get first priority. This course may serve as one of the required additional 3-credit courses toward the Master of Theatre Studies degree.
Complete the Elective Course Application Form and include application deposit and resume. Note: ACTS Master of Theatre Studies applicants do not need to send an additional deposit and resume, simply complete the name and address portions of page one of the Elective Course Application Form and submit it by the deadline.
We will send notification letters in mid April. At that time we will send you your pre-session assignment. You will be billed separately by SOU for your tuition and housing.
An application deposit of $50 ($80 if application postmarked after April 1, 2012) must accompany your application if you are not also applying for the Master of Theatre Studies.
Elective one week courses
Six nights of lodging (July 22 arrival, July 28 departure)
Housing and Meal plan cancelations must be received by May 31, in order to be eligible for a refund.
Additional nights of Lodging