Past Elective Course
A week-long 3-credit graduate level course geared toward high school and community college theatre educators, covering all aspects of dramaturgy:
- Discover how to use dramaturgy as a teaching tool
- Investigate different types of dramaturgy assignments, including new plays, translations/adaptations, Shakespeare, and contemporary and classic plays
- Work with professional dramaturgs
- Create a dramaturgy protocol (an extensive research book) for a play
- Conduct in-depth research on a play's context
- Explore text preparation for Shakespeare plays
- Discuss history and contemporary practice of the field of dramaturgy
- Attend the Oregon Shakespeare Festival (OSF) productions of Romeo and Juliet, Tartuffe, and Tracy's Tiger
- Learn how to analyze a play for performance
Here's what our students say:
- "Insightful, interesting, artistic and pragmatic"
- "I learned everything I needed to know to start dramaturgy program at my school"
- "Lue is charming, sophisticated, and insightful"
Lue Morgan Douthit, OSF director of literary developement and dramaturgy
Dr. Alan Armstrong
Professor of humanities and director, Center for Shakespeare Studies at Southern Oregon University. Education: PhD, Cornell University; BA, Wesleyan University
Dr. David Copelin
Production dramaturg at OSF 2007: On The Razzle, Rabbit Hole, Gem of the Ocean, Tartuffe
Education: DFA, MFA, Criticism and Dramatic Literature, Yale University; AB, English and Comparative Literature, Columbia University
Dr. Mary Z. Maher
Professor Emerita, University of Arizona.
Education: PhD, University of Michigan, MA University of Iowa. Dr. Maher has taught courses in Shakespeare in performance, Shakespeare on film, and teaching Shakespeare to teachers.
|9:00-11:30 am||Morning session|
|11:30 am-12:30 pm||Lunch|
|12:30-2:30 pm||Afternoon session 1|
|3:00-5:00 pm||Afternoon session 2|
Evening Schedule 2007
|Sunday 7/22, 7:00pm||Welcome reception, orientation|
|Monday 7/23||Research homework|
|Tuesday 7/24, 8:30pm||OSF play, Romeo and Juliet|
|Wednesday 7/25, 8:30pm||OSF play, Tartuffe|
|Thursday 7/26, 8:30pm||OSF play, Tracy's Tiger|