University Coaching and Academic Mentoring (U-CAM)
Looking for new ways to succeed in college and support while you learn those new strategies? Looking for support in navigating the many competing priorities of a student? Looking for a program that gives students with learning disabilities the tools to succeed? Looking for a university that offers more than accommodations? Then you are looking for U-CAM.
What is U-CAM?
U-CAM is a comprehensive, fee-for-services support program for students experiencing academic challenges. We know that, for a variety of reasons, some students need a coach to help them reach their academic best. Designed for students with executive function challenges, ADD, and other learning disabilities, U-CAM promotes self-advocacy, autonomy, and academic achievement. Our coaches work with individual students in weekly coaching sessions and are focused completely on students learning to reach their academic goals.
Who benefits from U-CAM?Students who have experienced challenges with planning, follow-through, breaking big projects into manageable tasks, determining what's important to study and how to do it - whether or not you have a documented learning disability.
How does U-CAM work?
- Get going with a pre-advising and intake session with an academic coach
- Incoming first-year students: set up for success with a full week of pre-session before the Fall term starts in a two-credit course
- Work with an academic coach to set term goals (Term Success Plan)
- Check progress in weekly coaching sessions
- Develop individualized skills and strategies to maximize academic success through specific U-CAM workshops
What are the benefits of weekly coaching sessions?
- Setting and meeting academic goals
- Time management and organization
- Tracking due dates and completing assignments
- Writing skills development
- Developing effective study skills